In this blog, you’ll get access to our well-curated list of best Workout for PCOS but before that let’s talk a little about what actually PCOS is and break some common myths around this topic.
PCOS is polycystic ovary syndrome that affects about 8-13% of women of reproductive age. It is a hormonal imbalance in women caused due to a high amount of two hormones in the body- insulin and androgens.
These are male hormones ovaries with tiny cysts termed PCOS, which happens due to excess production of male hormones. PCOS is the most common health disorder affecting primarily women in the 21st century.
Symptoms of PCOS
These are some of the common symptoms of PCOS among women.
- Irregular periods
- Mood swings
- Bloating and painful periods
- Weight gain and difficulty in losing weight
- Growth in facial hair
- Skin related problems
- Difficulty in getting pregnant
Every woman has different symptoms; two women don’t need to have the same symptoms of PCOS.
Causes of PCOS
Indeed, the exact causes of PCOS are not known yet. It is just due to an imbalance of hormones in the body. As per the study, if your mother or blood sister has PCOS, you will be at high risk of having PCOS. However, as per the research, the leading causes of PCOS are excess production of insulin and androgen hormones in the body that causes difficulty in ovulation.
Best Workout for PCOS
We have put together a brief list of some of the best Workout for PCOS which are recommended by doctors and fitness trainers.
Aerobics or cardio in general increases your heart rate and breathing. Make sure not to take too much stress if you’re suffering from PCOS, you should not take too much stress. PCOS Is related to hormonal imbalance. When you take priority, the cortisol hormone, a stress hormone, will increase in your body, so to prevent it, you must do aerobic exercises. Cardio that you can perform are:
2. Strength training
Strength training helps in building your muscles. This will keep the bones and muscles strong. Doing strength training will help you lose some pounds. This helps in reducing insulin resistance. Strength training will increase skeletal muscles’ size and enhance the ability to manage glucose. It helps in losing belly fat. Strength training that you can do :
- Lifting free weights
- Using resistance band at home
- Using machines at the gym
Stretching in PCOS can help to reduce excessive fat and reduces weight. It strengthens the tissues in the body. During stretching, try not to bounce warmer the muscles before stretching; that will help you do it correctly. Some examples of extension that can be performed-
- Ankle stretch
- Calf stretch
- Shoulder stretch
- Hamstring stretch
HIIT is a cardio type workout training with a short interval and fast intensity. HIIT gives you immediate results in a short time of exercise that’s why we included HIIT in our PCOS workout plan. This training helps to reduce insulin resistance in your body. As per a study done by researchers of Norway, HIIT workout helps reduce body weight at a fast speed compared to a regular workout. When it comes to managing insulin resistance, hormonal imbalance in women’s bodies suffering from PCOS HIIT training is the best way to consider it. Some exercises which can be included in your HIIT training are as follow:
- Jumping Jacks
- Kettlebells Movements
Yoga poses Best workout For PCOS
Yoga will lessen the symptoms of PCOS and give you relief. However Yoga poses to relax your body and helps in activating de-stress hormones in the body. It helps improve blood circulation and balance the level of blood sugar in the body. Below are some effective yoga poses that are recommended for PCOS.
Bridge Pose Best workout For PCOS
This pose helps in regulating thyroid function. It relaxes and activates the organs in the abdominal region of the body. This helps in lowering the symptoms of menopause.
How to do:
1. Lie down on your back by folding your knees. Try to hold a right angle between your feet and hips.
2. Place your hands beside your body by palm facing downwards.
3. Now, lift your lower back, mid-back and upper back off the ground once at a time.
4. Pull your chest towards the chin and roll your shoulders back.
5. Hold the pose for 1-2 minutes and return to the starting position.
Cobra pose Best workout For PCOS
This pose enhances the body’s flexibility and helps relieve back pain.
How to do:
1. Lay down flat on your belly.
2. Place your hands under the shoulders while keeping elbows near the ribs.
3. Inhale and start straightening your arms to elevate your chest off the floor by pressing your palms.
4. Try to recline backward as much as you can.
5. Hold this position for 15-20 seconds and slowly return to the starting position by exhaling.
6. Remember not to lift your hips when your chest rises.
Boat pose Best workout For PCOS
It helps to control thyroid function and focuses on the abdominal muscles. The boat pose stimulates the abdominal organs and helps indigestion. This yoga also helps in maintaining metabolism and helps in relieving stress.
How to do:
1. Take a sitting position on your mat with your knees bent and feet flat on the mat.
2. Slightly lean back by rolling your lower back.
3. Now, lift your legs off the ground and maintain balance with the help of your buttocks.
4. Maintaining balance on your sitting bones, extend your legs in front of you and slowly raise them.
5. By flattening your spine, your body should form a V-shape at a 45-degree angle.
6. Gaze at your toes by keeping your breath easy and smooth.
7. Hold this posture for a few seconds and return to the starting position.
Butterfly pose Best workout For PCOS
This pose provides relaxation from menstrual malaise and menopausal problems. Butterfly pose is also beneficial for those who spend long hours sitting and facing issues in sound sleep. This yoga targets the hip area and opens the inner thighs.
How to do:
1. Bring yourself in a seated position and keep the soles of the feet together.
2. Keeping your spine straight and abs pulled in together.
3. Inhale and while exhaling, slowly bring your torso forward and when you feel stretched, hold for 30-40 seconds.
4. Return to the starting position.
Locust pose or Shalabh-Asana Best workout For PCOS
Locust pose helps in enhancing blood circulation and makes the spine flexible. It cures the urinary problem and helps in reducing weight.
How to do:
1. Lie down on your stomach.
2. Keeping your hands straight, join both feet.
3. Now inhale and lift the legs, head, chest and arms off the ground.
4. Remain in this position for seconds and come back to the starting position while exhaling.
7 days workout plan for PCOS
1- Brisk walk for 30 minutes
2- Yoga for 30 minutes. Some of the yoga poses are described above.
3- HIIT for 30 minutes
4- Cycling or swimming for 30-40 minutes
5- Yoga for 30 minutes
5- HIIT for 30 minutes
6- Strength training for 30-40 minutes
7- Brisk walk for 39 minutes
How diet and nutrition will help in PCOS?
While thinking about what food you must eat in PCOS, it is also essential to see the complete meals from breakfast to dinner in a day. You must include green vegetables, healthy fats, whole grains in your diet. In PCOS, you must avoid processed food, unhealthy fat, soy products, and gluten.
Can I cure PCOS by exercise?
How many days a week should workout with PCOS?
These 30 minutes can include any workout like cardio, strength training, HIIT, weight training, yoga etc. Whether you are suffering from PCOS or not, you must do it five times exercise in a week to keep yourself fit.
Is a high-intensity workout good for PCOS?
When you rest, insulin becomes active again and helps to deliver glucose back to the forces after you resume training again. HIIT is an excellent workout for women suffering from PCOS. It helps to increase insulin sensitivity. You must include 1 or 2 HIIT sessions in a week.
How do I know that my PCOS is getting better?
If your PCOS is getting better, some of the symptoms will reduce. It would be better to do exercise regularly.
In case of any improvements, there are chances that your menstrual cycle will typically start, no more growth of facial hair, start losing weight, etc.
There is no cure to treat PCOS, but doing exercise and following a healthy lifestyle can lower the symptoms of PCOS.
Exercise plays a vital role in managing the symptoms of PCOS. That’s the main reason why we created this Best workout For PCOS.
Weight management is essential to improve every parameter of PCOS. Exercise burns calories and helps you with weight management. Living with the symptoms of PCOS can hurt you emotionally, but regular exercise and a healthy diet can help to lower the symptoms and help to reduce the stress. Doing a workout in a day is an effective way to keep your body and mind healthy with PCOS.